A surprising feature of the specialist battery business is how frequently battery packs are flown in from Asia or the USA to Europe. This is normally because individual dealers are ordering in relatively small size batches and do not stock large inventories of batteries.
The benefits of manufacturing everything in the EU, including the cells, which form the bulk of the product has a dramatic impact on the Carbon Foot print represented by the Circadian® system.
The Circadian® battery components are transported by Truck only, with an average transport of 1200 Km before reaching the End customer. An average 4 battery system weighs 6.5 Kg.
The batteries flown in from Asia, often blocks weighing over 10 Kg, fly an average of 9200 Km and still have road transport in China and an Average in Europe of 600 Km.
This represents an enormous impact increase in CO2 emissions.
It is obviously very difficult to calculate realistically, the below is to give an indication:
- myclimate.org emission estimates for air-freighting (8 Kg) from Shanghai to Amsterdam is 0.17 ton CO2
- A van with a 2.5 ton load uses 10 kg / diesel for 100 Km which equates to 0.037 Ton CO2
- Circadian® batteries @ 1200 Km use 0.44 ton CO2. We fit 3000 cell packs in a van. A Hospital system comprises 4 batteries. So per Cart we uses 0.44/3000 = 0.00015 Ton CO2 times 4 = 0.00059 Ton CO2
- A Block battery from China probably has a van Journey to the Chinese airport and from the European airport to you the customer of at least 1000Km. 037 x 1000Km = 0.37 Ton. The van carries max 312 8Kg block batteries. So 0.37/312 = 0.0012 ton C02 for a cart system
- That adds to 0.17ton + 0.0012 Ton = 0.1712 ton
Compare ratio= 0.1712/ 0.00059 Ton = indicates that flying in a block battery made in Asia, emits 290 times more C02 per cart!
The Circadian system is the clear choice for whoever cares about the environment.
The significantly longer service life of the Circadian batteries in years and the use of DC-DC conversion at a cost of 1% efficiency waste instead of the common DC-AC-DC efficiency loss of 25%+ would just magnify this comparison.